Every year since I started running, I have the same problem that creeps up on me as the temperatures drop – I lose my motivation to run. Since I will be running my 3rd marathon in March, I have no choice but to keep up with my running this Winter. However, for extra motivation and because it will be a lot of fun, I’m creating a challenge and I hope you will join me.
I challenge you to run 100 miles combined in the months of December, January and February with me. I am calling this the Winter 100 Challenge (yes, I’m aware that Winter doesn’t technically start until December 22, but hey, the whole month is cold around here!). Even if you live someplace that is warm all year around, you can still participate (I will just be insanely jealous of your weather).
One hundred miles may sound intimidating, but you have 3 months to run those miles. It averages out to a little over 33 miles per month which is a teensy bit over 8 miles per week. Easy peasy! I know you can do that. Plus, this is a great way to keep that pesky holiday weight gain at bay!
Need some motivation to participate? How about some fantastic prizes? The list will grow as I hear back from more sponsors. So far, you have the chance to win prizes from some of my favorite running gear makers:
GU Energy Labs – you can win a sampling of their latest flavors! Gu is my favorite fuel for long runs!
Ryders Eyewear – you have the chance to win a pair of sunglasses! Their sunglasses have become one of my favorite running accessories.
Sparkly Soul – you can win an awesome and very sparkly headband! Perfect for keeping your hair out of your face while you work up a sweat.
Nuun – you have the chance to win a Nuun sample pack plus a super cool Nuun water bottle! The BEST sports drink I have ever had; a must for my long runs.
Go Sport ID – we have TWO gift certificates to give away from Go Sport ID so 2 people get to win this awesome prize! Their ID bracelets are not only a must for safety, but they are also an awesome running accessory.
SparkleSkirts – you can win your choice of a SparkleLight or SparkleTech skirt! These skirts are adorable.
To enter this challenge, simply register:
Rules and Requirements:
- E-mail me a spreadsheet with all of your completed runs listed (date, miles and time required) OR you may send me a screenshot from your Garmin Connect, Nike Plus, MapMyRun, RunKeeper, DailyMile, or other running log data. You are on the honor system for tracking mileage. As they say – if you cheat, you’re only cheating yourself!
- E-mail me your spreadsheet or running data screenshot by 11:59pm on February 29, 2012. You may send it to me sooner if you complete your miles sooner, you overachiever! Winners will be contacted on March 2, 2012.
- Just get the miles in. It doesn’t matter if you run at a 6:00min/mile pace for a 13:00min/mile pace. Runners of all levels are invited to join in.
- Winners will be chosen at random out of those who send me their completed running logs. As long as you run at least 100 miles, you will be entered to win. Running 300 miles will not give you a greater chance of winning; it will just make me think that you are awesome.
- You don’t have to be a running mom! You can be a man or woman, with or without kids to participate.
- Don’t be intimidated by the thought of running 100 miles. You have 3 months to do it and I know you can do it!
- While I originally intended this to be a running challenge, I know that not everyone can run for whatever reason. Therefore, walking miles count too. However, biking, ellipticals, etc do not count. I want these miles to be accomplished with your feet on the ground (or treadmill)!
- There is no deadline to register. As long as you can show proof that you ran 100 miles in December, January and February, you can still enter the challenge.
- Optional: I’d love to have some of your pictures to share as the challenge progresses. If you’re hardcore and head out for a run in the snow, it would be pretty awesome if you take some pictures so I can post it here.
- Optional: Chance for a bonus entry! If you help me reach my fundraising goal with Team in Training in addition to participating in the challenge, you will receive a bonus entry. A donation is not required to enter the challenge!
- Please e-mail all mileage logs to email@example.com
If you’d like, I’d love it if you would tweet the following: “I just signed up for @thismomruns Winter 100 Challenge! http://the-running-mom.com/?p=991 Join me & enter to win some awesome prizes!”
Thank you to all of our wonderful sponsors for this challenge!
To kick off this challenge, reply below with a comment to tell us how you stay motivated to run as the temperatures drop.
Note: All prizes have been donated. Throughout the course of the challenge, I will post product reviews of the items being given away. All reviews, thoughts and words are my own.
If you are interested in donating a prize to the challenge, please e-mail me!