I’m always looking for new fun activities to do with Zain. Today, I tried my hand at making homemade play dough for him. It was super easy and he had tons of fun playing with it.
Making play dough is easy! I was glad to make my own so I didn’t have to freak out if Zain tried to eat it which of course, he did. I made 3 separate batches so we could have different colors. I would have made more, but we used up all the salt in the house! Zain and I played with our play dough for over an hour. Not much will usually hold his attention that long so that says a lot about how much he loved it!
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- Food coloring
- 1 cup flour
- Warm the water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a small saucepan. Use as much food coloring as you’d like. You may want to add a bit extra because the color will lighten when you add the flour.
- Once the mixture is warm, remove from heat and add flour.
- Stir until combined, then knead until smooth.
- It’s not recommended that you omit the cream of tartar as that is what will make it last longer.
- Will last 6 months or more stored in an airtight container or ziploc bag!
- Have fun!
Recipe from The Toddler’s Busy Book.