A race worth running

On May 6, 2012, I’ll be running 6th half marathon – the Maryland Half Marathon.  The MD half is important to me personally for several reasons.  First, it was my first long distance race since my first marathon in 2006.  Second, the starting line is within walking distance to my house – can’t beat that kind of convenience! And finally and most importantly, it’s for a great cause.

When I run a race, I like to know that my miles count for something more than just sore legs for the next few days.  The unique aspect of the MD Half Marathon is that 100% of the net proceeds go to the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center.  Both of my parents are cancer survivors and too of my many friends and family members have been touched by cancer in some way.  I will run as many miles as it takes to help make a difference in finding a cure.

The MD Half Marathon has it’s sights set on reaching it’s goal of raising $1 million this year.  I know they can do it.  To help them reach that goal, you can sign up for this awesome race today! If you’re in the MD/DC/VA area, please come out for this fantastic race.

To further convince you, here is a video my personal videographer (aka hubby) shot of me and Zain last week:

Don’t mind my near inability to form clear sentences; we stopped mid-run to take this :).

Happy running!

Comments

1. Kara says

Last year I remember reading about a dog jumping on the course and running the half too! Peanut would totally do something like that!

Yup, his name is Dozer! He was running next to us for a while.  He ran most of the race.  People kept trying to catch him, but he was too fast.  He beat us to the finish line :).

2. runwiki says

I have always wanted to do this race and had every intention of doing so but, just got word that we are moving to California this June via the US Navy (Hubbie is active duty) I love your vlog you and your little man are adorable, hope you rock this race!

I like running races that have a cause, too.  I’m running a 1/2 on that day, too, except I’ll be in New Hampshire.  Good luck!

I ran this in 2010 (as my first and only half marathon so far) and enjoyed every minute of it…also raised almost $600 for the Cancer Center,w hich I thought was pretty awesome.  I’m hoping to be back in good enough shape to run it again next year. :)  Good luck!

5. Kelly V says

So excited to find your blog through the MD Half FB page.  I swear all my running blog are from non-moms in SoCal.  Although, I can envy their lives.  I am glad to have found a blog about running as a mom and one in the MD area.  :)  Anyway, enough stalking.  I am also running the MD half.  THe Greenebaum center is the reason why my MIL is here with us today fight stage 4 breast cancer.  I am so excited to run for her and the cause. I also love that my entry fee is going to good.  Good Luck on your upcoming marathon. I’ll be following you on the blog.
    -KellyV

I’m a regular old running mom in Howard County, MD :-).  I’m so sorry your MIL went through that.  My mom is also a breast cancer survivor.  It’s such an ugly disease.  That’s wonderful that you’ll be running for your MIL.  It makes those miles feel like they really mean something.  Good luck to you!

6. Chickbands says

I’m so glad to have found you through the MD Half Marathon Page! I’ve read a couple of your posts and saw you rockin a Team Fight shirt at the Baltimore Full! I’m doing my first Iron Girl with TF! looking forward to following you!

I loved running with Team Fight. Such a fantastic organization! I will definitely run with them again. Good luck with your Iron Girl!!

7. Deni Troxclair says

Ok, I found your blog from Another Runner Mother. I had to hear about you pushing your stroller for a zillion miles!!!! You’re a freaking rock star. Then I read about your losses and I really had to come read more! I had two loses also and I ran my first half in wake of that grief and running did help keep me sane (as sane as I could be)! We then had a failed adoption (a scam artist, literally, couldn’t make it up if I tried!). BUT we have our sweet miracle girl who is 8 month old. The longest I have pushed her is 12 miles and I’m not sure I want to do that distance again! But reading your blog to my husband he said “well I guess you’re not as hard core as you thought!” (totally joking, but he knows how to motivate me!!). I’m so impressed and finishing a half and crossing the finish line to see my daughter there was one of the most healing things ever! I’m doing my first full at the end of April–so excited!