Another injury…

While we were on vacation in Hawaii, one of the things I was really looking forward to was running in one of my favorite places in the world.  The scenery could not be any prettier, the Hawaiian breeze is like a fan blowing on you while you run, and best of all – it’s flat.  We brought the jogging stroller with us so that we could run as a family.  They make an awesome travel bag for the BOB.

I hope my “Running for two” shirt wasn’t a total waste of money since I only got to wear it twice!

On our first full day, Zain woke us up at 4:30am and we figured since we were up, we might as well run! We went for an amazing 8 mile run (where I pushed Zain the whole time because I felt great) along the beach and then along a golf course.  During the run, I felt some soreness/tightness on the inside of my ankle that I’ve had on and off for a while now.  I’m stupid stubborn and like to pretend it’s not there.  I felt fine after the run, but the next time I tried to run 2 days later did not go so well.  I had to turn the run into a walk because the ankle was bugging me too much.

The day after that I tried again.  I ignored the tightness in my ankle until the 3rd mile when it was starting to get to a point where it would not be ignored.  I wanted to make it to 4 miles, but at about 3.5, hubby made me stop.  The pain was radiating from the inside of my ankle, up through the side of my calf.

So I decided to take the rest of vacation off from running to give myself a break.  My hubby can attest to the fact that it made me more than a little cranky to not be able to run, especially when he was still running.

I waited until we got back home and attempted to run after 2 weeks off.  I made it through 3 miles, but that soreness/tightness was still there.  I sucked it up though because my baby started preschool last week and mama is having a difficult time.  A run was needed! When I tried to run again last Friday, it was too sore to make it a little farther than a quarter of a mile.

After consulting with Dr. Google, I think it’s posterior tibial tendonitis.  I could totally be a doctor with how good I am at diagnosing my own injuries.  I think I will probably be smart and consult with a real doctor to see if that is indeed what it is.

I’m bummed because I made it to running up until 22 weeks and was really hoping to run for longer than that during this pregnancy.  I don’t feel optimistic that it’s going to happen.  I’m going to take a break for a couple more weeks, but my guess is that I need longer than that to heal.  I can’t even switch to walking instead because walking bothers my ankle too.

The conclusion is that my body sucks sometimes.  In 2012, I’ve been diagnosed with runner’s knee (which I still have), dealt with pain on the outside of my ankle/foot and now the pain on the inside of the same ankle.  All of the problems are on my left leg.  That side of my body must be defective.  To end up injured when I was barely hanging onto running 20 miles a week really sucks.  It might somehow be pregnancy-related since the hormones affect the ligaments in the body.  Or, even though my mileage was low and I included walking, maybe my streak did it to me.

I had all these big goals in mind for 2013 for races and PRs, but I think I’m going to stick with one goal instead – to be injury-free in 2013.  I hope that works out for me!

Anyone else want to whine with me about an injury?

Comments

1. Kara says

If you keep injuring one side of your body, it might be worth it to work with a PT to correct your stride/hip alignment/whatever is off.

I think you are aware of my injuries so I won’t fill up your comment section with my whines :)

I hope you can at least walk without pain soon!

That’s a good point! I didn’t think of that. I think part of it might be that I favor pushing the stroller with that side and I also tend to carry Zain on that hip. I’ve probably thrown my body out of alignment as a mother runner :).

2. Cat says

Oh, what a bummer! I hope you find a way to run again soon. :( I think I broke my toe(s)… trying to decide if better to wait it out or push through the pain. Not an easy decision with a race looming next month… Good luck!

Ouch!! I’m lucky I don’t have any races to worry about so that’s keeping me from stressing too much about the injury. I hope your toe feels better!

3. Marcia says

So sorry to hear about the injury! I am just coming off a hip injury so I share your frustration. FWIW I had posterior tibialis strain and it was on the outer/back ankle area. I pool ran while it healed. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

4. debbielq says

I agree with what Kara says. You may have some kind of imbalance that you can work on to correct. Or it could be pregnancy hormones. Or, your shoes?

I have too many aches and pains to whine about. Reading your post reminded me to pop a couple aleve. :-)

Haha! I think you and Kara might be right. I’ve been in the same shoes for a while so I don’t know if that’s the problem, but if I manage to feel up to running again, I might get refitted to be on the safe side.

I’m sorry to hear it! Injuries are just the worst. If you have any interest, I have a fantastic massage guy who really helps with this kind of stuff. He actually just worked on that exact tendon for me last week and it feels 100% better!

6. Cindy Six says

I feel your pain. I have picked up a cold or something from the kiddos at school and the hubs sidelined me from morning workouts the past couple of days after I did so well last two week at getting up each morning before work (teaching). Then today when I crossed my legs I noticed one ankle swollen and it doesn’t seem to be water retention. I appear to have somehow sprained my ankle without realizing it. I roll it a lot out of klutziness without consequence so this was surprising. Luckily you have plenty more weeks to go. Rest a bit for now and then go back to it. From all I have read its never too late in pregnancy to start exercising so if you have to take a break and come back you should be totally good to go. Good luck!

Oh no! I hope your ankle feels better soon! I like that way of thinking that I can still start back up if I end up pain-free weeks from now. I tend to get down about it and think that all is lost if I have to stop now.

7. Karen says

I can totally relate! My heel has been hurting me and caused me to stop several long runs. I did find some stretches to help ease the pain though. Maybe you could ask the experts at a running store for some stretches that might help or use Dr. Google.
    Injuries do suck and it can be so hard to deal with the disappointment. Hang in there and good luck!