An exciting Friday night

In the middle of last week, I started having pain in my shoulder and upper back on my right side.  I was in a car accident 6 years ago and I still have pain in my neck/shoulder/back on that side from time to time.  It’s made worse by lugging around the infant car seat and picking up my 32lb 3 year old.  I figured the pain was just muscular like it always has been in the past and that maybe I strained myself somehow picking up the kids.

Then I started having chest pains.  When I try to take a deep breath, I get stabbing pain in the middle of my back and and in my chest.  It’s worse when I lay down.  Yesterday, I was up a 2am and couldn’t fall asleep for the rest of the night because of the pain.  The pain got worse as the day went on.  Usually, if I have some kind of pain or don’t feel well, I do my best to just suck it up and not complain.  My husband can attest to the fact that I was complaining A LOT about this pain.

I ended up having to call him to come home in the middle of the day to take me in the hospital.  The pain was so bad that I was in tears.  Googling my symptoms was pretty much the worst idea ever since the conclusion was certainly that I was dying.

We’re very fortunate to have family nearby so my parents were able to quickly come over to watch Zain.  When I told Zain that I had to go to the doctor and he didn’t want me to leave, he told me his nose and his tummy hurt so he needed to come to the doctor with me :(.  We took Ezra to the hospital with us so that I would be able to nurse him since we didn’t know how long we’d be there.

My EKG was fine when we got to the hospital so that meant it wasn’t too urgent for them to check me out.  We finally got taken back to see the doctor about 2.5-3 hours after we arrived at the hospital.

Giving people in the waiting room the side eye

Giving people in the waiting room the side eye

More side eye

More side eye

The doctor ordered a chest X-ray to rule out a collapsed lung and had the nurse give me some Percocet for the pain.  The X-ray turned out to be fine, but the blood test they did that can indicate a blood clot was elevated.  At that point, the Percocet wasn’t even touching my pain so they gave me more plus a shot of something stronger in my IV.  The drugs were taking the edge off my pain and helping calm me down, but I was still in pain.

Ezra was such a good baby.  He didn't cry once in the 8 hours we spent at the hospital.

Ezra was such a good baby. He didn’t cry once in the 8 hours we spent at the hospital.

Next they did a CAT Scan so they could determine if it was a blood clot or not.  Thankfully, it was not! I was pretty anxious from the whole situation.  They ended up diagnosing me with Pleurisy – inflammation of the lining of the lungs (in my case, just one lung) – and sent me on my way with a prescription for Percocet and Ibuprofen.  It was a fun 8 hours on a Friday afternoon/evening spent at the hospital.  I’m so thankful that it turned out to not be anything more serious.

This little smile makes everything better

This little smile makes everything better

I haven’t been able to run since this past Tuesday because of the pain and I don’t know when I’ll try to run again.  I know that right now, I am in far too much pain to even attempt it.  Breathing hurts when I’m just sitting down so there’s no way I can run.  It’s up in the air whether or not I’ll be able to run my half marathon next weekend.  If I feel better and am completely pain-free, I’ll go for it and just take it very easy.  If I still feel anything like I do now, I’ll just be spectating.

So there you have it – for once, I am running injury-free, but now it’s something else to set me back.


  1. says

    I’m glad everything turned out okay! My mom was just in the hospital a couple of weeks ago with an elevated heart rate and chest pain but everything was okay for her too. Just rest and take time to heal!
    Kelly recently posted…Grab Your ShadesMy Profile

  2. says

    Whoa – that is kind of a crazy night for sure! My friend from work had one of those blood clot ER emergencies a few months ago – it was pretty scary!

    Glad you are ok!
    Rebecca recently posted…Friday ThoughtsMy Profile

  3. TaurianDoll says

    It’s more important that you feel better and that you’re healthy. Running in a half marathon can take place at anytime…especially this early in the season. Get well soon!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current day month ye@r *

CommentLuv badge